As promised here is one of my green smoothie recipe. It may look scary and even taste a bit weird (I think they taste great) but it is extremely healthy and a great way to get some extra protein and veggies! I am always slightly changing the recipe depending on what I have available but I will give you the basics and also let you know of some of the other items I have added! Don’t be scared! Let’s take our nutrition to the NEXT LEVEL!
Garett’s Life Changing Smoothie (lol)
- 1-cup of cold Tea – Jessica really likes to make/drink “generic” iced tea so that is usually what I use but if you want to really be gangster I recommend cold Yerba Mate. I like the loose leaf and you can get it at Whole Food or Central Market. I will make a batch in the coffee press and then put in the fridge!!! Green tea is also a great choice.
- 1 whole banana
- 1/2 apple or pear – the apple and banana are necessary to help reduce the bitterness
- Two big Kale leafs
- Big Handful of Power Greens
- Approximately 1-inch piece of fresh raw ginger – remove the outer layer with a potato peeler.
- Table spoon of Coconut oil
- Optional but recommended – 1 serving of both Upgraded Whey and Upgraded Collagen protein. Or Organic Hemp protein powder if you are vegetarian. Can be found at Whole foods or Central Market.
- Optional – 2 or 3 frozen strawberries if you have a sweet tooth and the though of drinking green smoothies sounds disgusting it maybe necessary to include some strawberries in the beginning
- 5-6 ice cubes – I like my smoothies cold.
In order to make really good smoothies I recommend you invest in a nice high end blender such as a Vitamix or Blendtec comes in handy especially when dealing with kale! This is where a powerful blender comes in handy!!!
Other ingredients I have used in my green smoothies are:
- Raw Garlic
There you have it, get creative and take charge of our health! I would love to hear from you on what you think about the recipe and also I would love for you to share your favorite recipe. Lastly stop going to generic smoothie shops such as Emerald Smoothie, Jamba Juice and Kiva Juice and start making your own smoothies!
Here is a video of another smoothie: