On May 9, 2016 I started the Grease the Groove Push-up experiment (read about the experiment details here). Well it has been 30-days and the results are in and quite frankly they are amazing!
- Day 1 – Determine push-up max
- Divide your day 1 push-up max by 2 – This is the amount of pushups to be performed each and every set.
- Perform your pushups 6 days a week (rest one day a week)
- Days (2 – 15) – Perform 5 sets of push-ups per day with at least 1-hr break between sets
- Days (16 – 29) – Perform 6 sets of push-ups per day with at least 1-hr break between sets
- Day 30 – Retest you push-up max (hopefully your pushup max has increased)
There were 17 people that completed the experiment and nearly all had improvements well above 20%. Well everyone except me (LOL). I was able to crank out 2 more for a 6.7% increase. While I don’t like to make excuses, my excuse is that on Monday June 6, 2016 I completed my StrongFirst Snatch Test. The result? I am now a certified StrongFirst Kettlebell instructor! That’s the great news, the not so good news, is that my body was so sore and tired from the test that it took everything I had to crank out 2 more pushups. It’s all good, because an improvement no matter how small is still an improvement so I will take it!!!
Ok now lets look at the results of everyone else (see figure below).
As you can see all 17 people where able to increase the amount of push-ups and some made unbelievable progress progress. In fact the average strength (pushup) increase was nearly 74%! This is incredible!
The grease the groove method works!!! So if you want to improve your pushups, “train often, but never to failure” or in other words “stimulate but don’t annihilate”!